Followers

Sunday, May 11, 2014

Astronomical STAR Quilt Block Challenge

I happened to stumble upon this challenge by accident. Astronaut Karen Nyberg who created a star block in space has invited us to make our own and submit them to the International Quilt Festival. To find details about the Astronomical Quilt Block Challenge at the International Quilt Festival you can go to online at www.quilts.com or you can download the pdf here:

http://www.quilts.com/pressreleases/y2013/FQF13QuiltChallengeFlyer.pdf

to view Karen's journey in space here is the link:

 http://www.space.com/23436-space-quilt-astronaut-karen-nyberg.html

and to see the Help an Astronaut Make a Space Quilt Video:

http://www.space.com/23418-help-an-astronaut-make-a-space-quilt-video.html


So I challenged myself and designed my own star quilt block!  I had an idea in mind incorporating it with my astrological hobby and finally completed it today!  It's far from perfect and  it wasn't as easy as I thought it would be after I got the design completed ..... but I  am happy  with the way the block turned out after many failed attempts and shall I say LOADS of frustration at paper piecing.  I can certainly say I'm NOT a designer but I do love the blocks I created. They incorporate the four elements, FIRE, EARTH, AIR and WATER. Then I added in a little moon here and there to celebrate Karen's journey to the moon and back.    I'll be keeping one of the blocks for myself and will mail in the STAR I designed. I'll post pictures of my journey shortly!